Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Cheap Eats Brasilian Style


Our hotel offered a breakfast fit for royalty. It featured pancakes, sausage, bacon, pastries, waffles, scrambled eggs, and freshly squeezed juice and chocolate milk that was truly addictive. The Premier Copacabana had us up every morning by 8am to enjoy their very filling, very tasty and very free (!) breakfast. That was one of the highlights of our trip in terms of food.


I know, it’s criminal, but we didn’t actually eat at a churrascaria. A churrascaria is (from Wikipedia) “a Brazilian or Portuguese steakhouse. Churrasco is the cooking style, which translates roughly from the Portuguese for 'barbecue'.” So pretty much it’s a grand parade of meats of all kinds right into your tummy. I’ve been to one in Richmond run by Brazilians so I didn’t feel too bad about missing out on it this trip.


Other than that, fruit is cheap in Rio and plenty of street vendors will try to hose you when buying it. I bought a half of a watermelon from a vendor for about 4 reals. It should only cost about 2 or 3 but it was so hot outside and the melon was so juicy and sweet looking, I didn’t even care.


We found plenty of little cafes to eat at and were so thrilled to find that a huge cup of acai only cost about R$3. Oh. Acai. When you go to Rio, please, please try some acai, unless of course you don’t like for your taste buds to be taken on a journey of love and warm, happy feelings. It takes all kinds of travelers.



One of our favorite fast food restaurants was Burgao. It’s like Burger King but it also has food like steak, chicken, rice, beans. Stuff Americans would call “real food”. It’s a good little place to get a nice meal for about 5 or 6 reals. This is what I had

Carioquinha Frango Empanado:




- Arroz - Rice

- Feijão - Beans

- Peito de Frango Empanado - Small Chicken Empanada

- Alface - Lettuce

- Tomate - Tomato

All for only R$6,30


They also have the regular beloved fast food like hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries and shakes.

No comments: